How I Got Here


Welcome to my life's puzzle. For most of my 36 year journey, I've felt like a novice jigsaw puzzler. There is a beautiful picture displayed before me, but a million tiny pieces scattered about. It starts out looking mostly like a chaotic mess. Assembling the pieces requires patience, perseverance and faith, but in time they begin to fit together one by one. The first 26 years or so were spent finding my straight edges - in that time the Lord began to form a border that would frame my life. Suddenly, within the past ten years, the pieces are forming a middle. I can begin to see the picture. The Lord sweeps me off my feet and I discover that life without faith is no longer an option. A piece falls into place. I have a longstanding passion for health, food and fitness. I also have a longstanding battle with eating disorders. Five years ago nobody on Earth knew this. Three years ago the Lord removes a veil to reveal truths I never imagined and set me on a journey toward freedom. He's taking me down a fascinating path toward discovering self-love, accepting His love for me, and exploring the radiance He has always had in mind for my life. A piece falls into place. Last year my husband was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and my son was told no more gluten, egg, dairy, or corn. I am now acutely aware of why food has been such an important part of my life and begin to view it very differently as I work to "heal" my family. A piece falls into place. The Lord has ever so kindly, sometimes gently, sometimes firmly, sometimes hilariously directed me to this very point in my life. It is with great anticipation that I keep my eyes firmly planted on the stunning image on the box cover. Thanks for joining with me as I continue putting the pieces together.


Monday, December 5, 2011

"Cheesy" Chicken and Rice So Good it Will Make Your Cheese Cry!

Are you addicted to Pinterest? Ummmm....hello, talk about daily inspiration! It's like inspiration overload! I was getting so hooked, I had to regulate myself with a few self-imposed Pinterest rules. Rule #1 - you may not pin indefinitely. There must be actual creation in conjunction with pinning. I decided that until I'd created, implemented, cooked, tied, smeared, dipped, glittered, mod-podged, or worn at least one item from each of my boards, I would take a pinning hiatus. Yep, that motivated me to get moving! I choose this little cutie from my "holiday decorating" board. This cute, easy, inexpensive Lima bean wreath took me two hours and ten dollars. Incidentally, I also discovered why in the world God made Lima beans. Turns out they're for wreaths, ahhhh, no wonder (never been a Lima-lover! Gag.)

OK, on to cheese, well sort of. Tonight's recipe will be photo-less, because it was inhaled before I could snap a shot (always a good sign!). This "cheese" recipe is flat delish and even the pickiest cheese sauce lover would be hard pressed to detect that there is not a lick of cheese or dairy in it. So good it will make your real cheese cry! I use it for a lot of different recipes, pour it over chips for nachos, thin it out for broccoli cheese soup, pour it over enchiladas, and more.

Cheesy Chicken and Rice

"Cheese" Sauce  (adapted from Vitamix)
1/3 cup raw cashews
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (whatever non-dairy milk you prefer)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt

Blend VERY well in Vitamix (or good blender) until completely smooth. Pour into a sauce pan over low/medium heat. Whisk constantly to desired thickness (it will be really runny and then all of a sudden get thick, don't stress). For this recipe, once thick and smooth, add 1/4 cup (or more if you like) sun dried tomatoes and stir into sauce.

Combine brown rice, chopped chicken, steamed broccoli, and sun dried tomato cheese sauce together and serve. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share on Facebook!