How I Got Here


Welcome to my life's puzzle. For most of my 36 year journey, I've felt like a novice jigsaw puzzler. There is a beautiful picture displayed before me, but a million tiny pieces scattered about. It starts out looking mostly like a chaotic mess. Assembling the pieces requires patience, perseverance and faith, but in time they begin to fit together one by one. The first 26 years or so were spent finding my straight edges - in that time the Lord began to form a border that would frame my life. Suddenly, within the past ten years, the pieces are forming a middle. I can begin to see the picture. The Lord sweeps me off my feet and I discover that life without faith is no longer an option. A piece falls into place. I have a longstanding passion for health, food and fitness. I also have a longstanding battle with eating disorders. Five years ago nobody on Earth knew this. Three years ago the Lord removes a veil to reveal truths I never imagined and set me on a journey toward freedom. He's taking me down a fascinating path toward discovering self-love, accepting His love for me, and exploring the radiance He has always had in mind for my life. A piece falls into place. Last year my husband was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and my son was told no more gluten, egg, dairy, or corn. I am now acutely aware of why food has been such an important part of my life and begin to view it very differently as I work to "heal" my family. A piece falls into place. The Lord has ever so kindly, sometimes gently, sometimes firmly, sometimes hilariously directed me to this very point in my life. It is with great anticipation that I keep my eyes firmly planted on the stunning image on the box cover. Thanks for joining with me as I continue putting the pieces together.


Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tastes of Fall - Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Welcome to my first post! I must begin with a quick history. I mentioned that as a family we are 95% gluten-, dairy-, corn-, grain-, and soy-free. We've reintroduced some egg, but were also completely egg-free for the past year. If you've ever tried to grocery shop with those kind of restrictions, you know that what you mostly end up with is overly priced food that is pretty scarce in nutrients. About three months ago I challenged myself to achieve a goal. My endeavor was to make, from scratch, 90% of the foods we eat and only buy 10% prepackaged. I'm thankful that it's not only been a great challenge, blessed me more than I'd ever imagined, increased the nutrient density of the food I feed my family exponentially, been SUPER well received by both kids and husband, but has also felt very manageable. Prior to setting my goal, I'd been praying for direction. I got it! The Lord has really blessed this experience. I've had a lot of people asking me to post my recipes, so here we go. By the way, Elana's Pantry has been a HUGE source of inspiration for me. Literally started as a lifeline in my journey. She was an answer to prayer in my life for sure! She has no idea I exist, but I refer to her around here on a first name basis as if she were a childhood friend. Be sure to visit her at www.elanaspantry.com. Now on to the good stuff......

Yesterday's mid-afternoon snack was delightful! I love all things pumpkin and these are no exception. Very yummy!

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles (adapted from As Good As Gluten)

1/2 c grapeseed oil
1/3 c honey
2 squirts liquid stevia
3/4 c fresh or canned pumpkin
2 1/2 c almond flour (or any GF flour)
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients first. Mix all liquid ingredients separately. Add liquid to dry. Mix. Scoop small spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown and solid. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME, Sarah! I am already soooo inspired just by reading "about" you and from the header! You are such a great writer! Love words. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeanie. You DO realize don't you that you're the "dear friend" mentioned? Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Share on Facebook!